Our friend Gabi came over to the house this morning with a lemon loaf (an old family recipe) and we all had a slice at the Edible Newsroom. It looked so beautiful we have to capture a photo and share the recipe with you all. Gabi says the yoghurt helps to keep these cakes deliciously moist.
Enjoy as is with a cuppa, warm with butter, or you can top with a lovely lemon drizzle icing.
- 200g plain flour
- 100g caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 150g natural yoghurt
- 75g butter, melted
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Butter a loaf tin.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar, poppy seeds, bicarb and lemon zest. Combine the remaining ingredients; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Spoon into a prepared tin and bake for 35-40 minutes or until a skewer inserted near the centre comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from tin to a wire rack.
Combine 8 tablespoons icing sugar, 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest. Drizzle over the warm cakes.